M.A. Higher Education and Student Development, Taylor University
- Thesis Topic: Assessing and Improving Student Engagement
- GPA: 3.96
B.S. Computer Engineering, Taylor University
- Minor: Mathematics
Student Affairs Experience
Resident Director at Houghton College in Houghton, NY (2013 - Present)
- Engaged and developed students wholistically both individually and through larger programs
- Facilitated a learning environment where students were able to grow and succeed in their college experience
- Developed staff through weekly meetings and individual one-on-one engagements
Assistant Director of Student Organizations in Houghton, NY (2016 - Present)
- Advised club leaders and student government on appropriate use of college funds
Assistant Director of Housing at Houghton College in Houghton, NY (2014 - 2016)
- Implemented strategies to ensure correct and efficient housing of 900 residential college students
- Communicated with students and parents to ensure that residential living arrangements contributed the the educational experience
- Created reports in SSRS and SQL to provide meaningful and secure access to data stored in our student records system (PowerCAMPUS)
InterVarsity Intern at Indiana University-Purdue University in Fort Wayne, IN (2011 - 2012)
- Worked with approximately 30 international students of various faiths and beliefs
- Led a discussion group and Bible study focusing on student spiritual development
Resident Assistant at Taylor University in Upland, IN (2009 - 2010)
- Created student programs to promote learning and growth
- Directly managed discipline issues ranging from policy violations to alcohol issues and moral failures
- Handled situations involving student crisis from injury to interpersonal conflict
Higher Education Experience
Graduate Assistant for Online Learning in Fort Wayne, IN (2010 - 2012)
- Organized assessment effort for online programs
- Served as a member of a faculty task force charged with forming the future role of online learning
- Implemented reporting and dashboard system to assess student and department performance
Adjunct Faculty at Ivy Tech Community College in Fort Wayne, IN (Fall 2011)
- Facilitated learning for 50 students in two computer courses
- Taught topics ranging from basic computer concepts to Microsoft Office
- Leveraged Blackboard discussion boards to engage students outside of class
Adjunct Faculty at Taylor University in Upland, IN (Fall 2010)
- Led discussion groups for freshmen students
- Created syllabi, assignments, and course curriculum
- Developed strategies to facilitate active participation and student involvement
Software Engineering Consultant (2009 - Present)
- Collaborated with clients to design software to meet a wide variety of business needs
- Implemented full-stack hardware and software solutions ranging from embedded systems and low-level data signaling to real-time web-based applications
LEGO Design Consultant (2013 - Present)
- Produced interactive educational projects for children
- Designed over 30 alternate models for existing LEGO sets, including one that was requested and funded directly by The LEGO Group
- Created highly detailed scale architectural models based on real-life structures
Software Engineer at Interactive Intelligence in Indianapolis, IN (2012 - 2013)
- Led a team of six in designing a new product from the ground up
- Fixed over 300 bugs in legacy ASP.NET applications
- Received employee of the month commendation
Co-founder of ion43, LLC in Upland, IN (2009 - 2010)
- Started a business from the ground up
- Placed in the top 5 out of 30 at a regional business plan competition
Student Network Engineer at Taylor University in Upland, IN (2006 - 2010)
- Worked with students, faculty, and staff to determine the nature of problems and find solutions
- Investigated new technologies that could be implemented to improve institutional effectiveness
Logos Hope Project Worker at Operation Mobilization in Split, Croatia (Summer 2007)
- Overcame cultural barriers to work with a group of 80 individuals from more than 10 countries
- Implemented systems to mediate real-time onboard and ship-to-ship communication
Presentations and Publications
- Craton, J. (2014). Engaging Students Through eSports. ACSD Conference Presentation.
- Technical reviewer for: Yerrid, K.C. (2013). Instant Netcat Starter. Birmingham: Packt Pub.
- Craton, J. (2012). Engaging students online: Examining academic challenge and student-faculty interaction. Master's Thesis.
- Craton, J. (2011). The effect of videogames on student achievement. Koinania.
- Brooks, T., Plato, K., Hood, F., Craton, J., Althoff, R. (2010) Feel free fitness. Business concept competition presentation at I-69 Collegiate Innovation Challenge in Plymouth, IN.
- Palmer, Z., Shields, T. & Craton, J. (2010). An Introduction to the Electronic Chaos System. Poster session presented at Taylor University, Upland, IN.
- Shields, T., Palmer, Z. & Craton, J. (2010). Software architecture of the Electronic Chaos System. Poster session presented at Taylor University, Upland, IN.
- Palmer, Z., Shields, T. & Craton, J. (2010). Hardware design of the Electronic Chaos System. Poster session presented at Taylor University, Upland, IN.
- Henry, M., Craton, J., Heinlein, R. (2009). Rethinking learning management. Business plan competition presentation at Taylor University, Upland, IN.
- Brocker, M., & Craton, J. (2009). Interfacing with the CAN bus to obtain PRNDL data. Poster session presented at Taylor University, Upland, IN.
- Shields, T., Brocker, M., Mitchell, T., May, T & Craton, J. (2008). Room Temperature Quantum Conductance. Poster session presented at Taylor University, Upland, IN.
- Craton, J. & Isaacson, M. (2007). Tracking a high-altitude balloons using GPS and text to speech. Poster session presented at Taylor University, Upland, IN.
- Association of Christians in Student Development (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (2010)
- Indiana College Network (2010)
- National Student Leadership Conference (2009)
- International Conference on Computing and Mission (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)
My complete CV is available at joncraton.org/cv