Centrallix Application Platform
The idea behind the project is to create a way to create applications which will withstand the test of time and be easy to maintain for administrators. The applications for Centrallix are independent of the display mechanism meaning that an application could eventually be used both through a web interface or locally through a Java GUI.
Centrallix is an open source (mostly GPL) framework and application platform, specializing in:
- Rich web-based application deployment using DHTML/AJAX technology (since late 1998!).
- Data abstraction - your data can be stored in databases, CSV files, emails, files, XML, and more. And you can use SQL to bring it all together.
- Application abstraction your application is distinct from the deployment method (such as HTTP/DHTML), so other deployment / presentation methods can later be added.
- Applications as Data - applications are written declaratively, as structured information, and can be stored in any of several forms.
- A Fractal perspective on data detail - information can be accessed in a simple manner regardless of its depth of linking and embedding. For example, you can (ideally!) run a SQL query on the rows in a CSV file, attached to a MIME email, stored on a POP3 server, pointed to by a file on the local filesystem. Or, run a SQL query against items in an RDF XML file stored on a remote web server, linked to by a file in the local filesystem. All without procedural code!
Centrallix is a purpose-driven project, with the ultimate goal of being a platform for community-built applications needing:
- Ease of deployment.
- Technological longevity & survivability.
- Low costs (both for organizations deploying applications and for developers helping build such applications).
- Ease of customization of applications, and ease of collaborative development.
- A strong policy-driven security model.
- Flexible data access.
- Connectedness even when communication infrastructures are minimal or unreliable.
Check out my other pages tagged "projects".